[mythtv-users] Help me find a winner...stinking Kt133

Ryan A. Carris rac at racarris.com
Tue Aug 12 21:39:37 EDT 2003

Well, I'm a big fan of the Asus A7N266-VM.  It is a Nforce 1 motherboard
with everything onboard.  Several of us are currently running one and
they work great.  You can pick them up for ~$70 at newegg.com or mwave.com.

I recently built another system with a little more power using an Asus
A7N8X-VM.  It's an Nforce 2 system, again with everything onboard,
including the video.  You can pick them up for ~$100.  Like the
A7N266-VM, these are pretty bare boards with only 3 PCI slots and a bios
that doesn't allow any overclocking.  But the boards are small, cheep,
and Asus reliable.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND AGAINST AN Epox EP-8RGA.  This is Epox's NForce2
board with the onboard video.  I tried two of these.  I could not get
the sound and network card to work reliably.  I tried for a whole month
trying Mandrake 9.1, then back to 9.0, and Redhat 9.  I about drove
myself nuts.  Purchased the Asus mb, and had it working in under an hour.

-rac