[mythtv-users] Re: commercial skip/flagging - how well does itwork for you?

Dane Kantner webmaster at dddane.com
Mon Aug 11 23:23:59 EDT 2003

> Good idea but as you already noted it would require looking for a
> different logo on each channel and they are prone to twiddling the logo on
> some channels.  For US broadcasters there is a better way.  That darned
> annoying ratings logo they paste up a few seconds after coming out of a
> break is nice high contrast black type in a square white field, at a
> perfectly regular government specified size and location.  Gotta be a way
> to use that against em.  Only problem I see is they only display it coming
> out of breaks so it only helps half of the detection problem.
And, going along with that theme... the ratings themselves are sent in the
stream...  This is how TVs use v-chips to know what the thing showing is
rated.  I *think* the data is sent for every commercial, as well as for
every return to the show.... Though, even if thats true theres always
exceptions I'm sure too. (But anyway, I think that the VBI device is used to
read this data--so it could be read by myth too?)
-dane