[mythtv-users] Re: commercial skip/flagging - how well does it work for you?

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Mon Aug 11 23:10:07 EDT 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Duncan Sargeant wrote:

> manually (if Q doesn't take me back to where I was).  I wonder whether
> it would be sensible to have an upper limit for skip - say about 300
> seconds (commercials don't usually last longer than that).

Uh huh.  What planet are you watching TV on?  I might wanna join you.  :)
Here on mine, late nite TV often goes over five minute commercial breaks
in the back half of a movie.  Better up that to seven or eight minutes.

> Another idea I've been thinking about is writing commercial flagging
> based on the channel logo appearing - about 5 seconds after
> commercials, we always get a subtitle showing the name of the show
> along with the channel logo.  In theory it should be a lot more
> reliable than blank screen detection.  However, it would be difficult to
> configure, requiring a picture of the logo to look for, for each
> channel.

Good idea but as you already noted it would require looking for a
different logo on each channel and they are prone to twiddling the logo on
some channels.  For US broadcasters there is a better way.  That darned
annoying ratings logo they paste up a few seconds after coming out of a
break is nice high contrast black type in a square white field, at a
perfectly regular government specified size and location.  Gotta be a way
to use that against em.  Only problem I see is they only display it coming
out of breaks so it only helps half of the detection problem.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!