[mythtv-users] Recommended graphics card with tv-out?

Joe V joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 3 13:34:20 EDT 2003

Myself, I've tried with both a G400 and an
All-In-Wonder Radeon (the original R100 series), and
have had trouble with both.  There is a kind soul
(thanks, Matt) who is assisting me with the G400 right
now, and there's a possibility that I'll actually get
it working.  Hopefully.  :)

Somebody else on the list once said, "the Radeons will
work, but if you spend more time than $30-$45, go out
and buy a GeForce card".  I'd have to agree with this
sentiment, even though at the moment I'm unemployed
(so my time isn't worth much right now).  I don't have
a GeForce card kicking around here, and I'm not going
to buy one, but I do have the G400 and Radeon here.

As for the Radeon, you can get TV Out to work - it's
quite the complicated procedure, and probably won't
work too well with many Linux distributions.  You have
to install an older distro that has XFree86 4.2,
recompile the X Server with the Gatos "devel" branch,
and then TV Out will work.  Unfortunately for me, in
doing that, and building MythTV, well, MythTV
segfaulted right away, definitely because of the
rebuilding of the X Server.  (If anybody wants
detailed instructions on how I built it, let me know,
and I can post them.  After getting TV Out booting
with X though, I don't think I can help).

If you're going to use a Radeon, expect to have to
build everything from source.  I know how to do it,
it's just not worth my time.

At this point I'm looking at trying to get the G400 to
work again.  If not, then I'm just going to get a scan
converter.

It all depends on how much money you are willing to
spend, and what you have already.  I'm trying to get
TV Out with cards that I already have, but I wouldn't
buy any of these cards, unless soemthing was
guaranteed (and from reading the list archives, it
seems that nothing is guaranteed).  You might want to
consider a scan converter also.

-- Joe

(http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=pvrhw_gfx)