[mythtv-users] Myth and XMLTV

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Fri Aug 1 11:21:35 EDT 2003

I recall that a few weeks ago, there was a problem with MythTV 0.10 and the
newest version of XMLTV. Has that problem been corrected yet?

Specifically, if I update my Debian-Sid Myth system using the current (as
of this morning) .deb packages, I am unable to grab NA channels.
mythtv-config (the modified name of the bankend configuration program in
the Debian packages) seems to hang when I ask it to get a list of providers
using /usr/bin/tv_grab_na .

If I run that program from the command line, as "/usr/bin/tv_grab_na
--configure", it works. But even if I then rename the downloaded script to
match the name Myth expects for the video source (" cp tv_grab_na.conf
Comcast-analog.xmltv" as root, followed by suitable chown and chgrp), I
cannot fill the database. Instead, running /etc/cron.daily/mythtv-backend
AGAIN gives this result:

                         /home/mythtv/.mythtv/Comcast-analog.xmltv: format
needs
upgrading, re-run --configure:

So ... two questions.

1. Am I running into the known XMLTV problem from several weeks ago, or
something different? (The current version of XMLTV in Debian-Sid is 0.5.15-1.)

2a. If the first, is a fix expected anytime soon? In the meantime, what are
other Debian-Sid users doing as a workaround?

2b. If the second, can anyone help me figure out what is going on?

I had put off updating my Myth system to wait for the XMLTV stuff to get
sorted out ... but circumstances forced me to go ahead with an update
yesterday for non-Myth reasons (I needed new versions of libavifile and
vcr, in addition to the usual security upgrades).