[mythtv-users] Need your comments on planned Mini-ITX HTPC setup

Iohan Reyes ijr at routex.net
Tue Apr 15 13:39:21 UTC 2003

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but I am now seriously
investigating the building of a new HTPC system, and I need it to be as
small as possible (and horizontal in form) so it will fit in my small
"entertainment center".  I looked at the specs of this board mentioned
below and they keep referring to it as a "Mini-FlexATX".  Is this the same
as Mini-ITX?  Will this board fit with the case I have chosen below?  My
first choice is to put Linux and try MythTV on this box but if I have
driver problems and such, I will probably fall back to ShowShifter or
SnapStream on Windows XP.

Here is the planned configuration and a link to the important parts:

Case: http://www.amselectronics.com/Products/PC_Servers/CF-668.html
Motherboard+CPU: http://www.commell.com.tw/Product/SBC/LV-670.HTM (if this
fits in the above case) + Celeron 1.7Ghz
Alternative Motherboard+CPU:
http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_m_spec.jsp?motherboardId=81 (EPIA-M
with 1Ghz C3)
Memory: PC2100 DDR
Hard Drive: 120GB WD 1200JB 8MB cache
DVD-ROM: Lite-On 16X
TV Tuner: http://www.asus.com.tw/vga/tvtuner/specification.htm (Needed
low-profile PCI card for the above case)
I am plugging directly into my cable tv line (no external box) so I am good
to go with a regular tuner card.

Do you think the above config (primary or alternative) makes sense?
Will the low-profile tuner card fit in the case I have chosen?  It seems
like the backplate is still tall, but I wouldn't know since I haven't seen
the case in person.
Will the Intel-based mobo fit in the case once the CPU fan is put on?
If not, is the EPIA board good enough for Time-Shifting?
Any other comments, thoughts, or suggestions would be highly
appreciated...I want to order this stuff sometime this week.

Thanks!

--On Tuesday, April 08, 2003 9:52 AM -0700 Micah Morton