[mythtv-users] WinTV PVR-USB?

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Mon Apr 14 17:05:39 UTC 2003

On Monday 14 April 2003 12:45 pm, Mike Schrag wrote:
> In the current source tree, is any of your PVR-250 code checked in?  If
> so, I was curious what the process is for hooking it up (knowing that
> it's alpha)... I must say, I was pretty shocked when I saw ivtv's driver
> "just work" with a cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg, so that must bode well
> for mythtv (that they're getting close).

The card works in mythtv for live tv and scheduled recordings.  Resolution is
selectable (just uses whatever res the Default and Live TV recording settings
are), but nothing else is, mainly because the driver has all that hardcoded
as yet. =)

For playback, it doesn't allow seeking in the .mpg files yet.  I'll try to get
that all done later this week.  Other stuff's not working yet either, but
that's the biggest.

> As far as attempting to use the latest source tree, I selected Hardware
> MPEG Encoder on the capture card, but when I select the card inputs (I
> think that's what the menu item is called -- i'm at work now, so I don't
> have the screen handy -- it's the one on the bottom right of the screen
> in setup), nothing displays in the list (and if I hit enter as if i were
> selecting one, mythfrontend segfaults).

It's thinking you don't have V4L2 installed, so it can't probe the cards.  You
should've also gotten a warning compiling mpegrecorder.cpp about it not
finding v4l2, but that probably was lost in the other warnings about unused
variables in there.

Here's what I did to "fix" things up so that the v4l2 stuff was visible to
mythtv -- this is just a quick hack, and decidedly _not_ the proper way to
handle it.  This assumes that you're using a distribution (like most do now)
that includes a copy of the linux headers in /usr/include
  - copied videodev.h and videodev2.h from the kernel's include/linux/include
directory to /usr/include/linux
  - edited videodev2.h to remove the include for <linux/time.h> (near the
top).  It's not userspace include safe...

I believe that was it -- videodev.h should have a define near the top that
defines HAVE_V4L2 and includes videodev2.h.  You'll have to recompile mythtv
after that, and should no longer get a warning in mpegrecorder.cpp about not
having v4l2 support.  Once that's all done, it should be able to probe the
inputs.  It should be just like a normal tuner card from there on out.

Isaac