[mythtv-users] bttv driver

Iohan Reyes ijr at routex.net
Mon Apr 7 13:07:38 UTC 2003

--On Sunday, April 06, 2003 3:04 PM -0500 Nathan Poznick
<poznick at conwaycorp.net> wrote:

> The source tree that you had... did you configure, compile, and install
> your currently running kernel from it?  Also, when you went into the
> configuration to add the bttv driver, did you make everything a module?

Actually, I had recompiled and upgraded the kernel to 2.4 just after I
installed Debian 3.0.  I did not patch it to include the bttv driver, but I
did enable Video4Linux support.  I am assuming now that the correct way is
to patch it and recompile.  I will try that.  However, one of the things I
usually do is make everything built-in to the kernel and not use any
modules at all.  It can probably be argued either way whether that is a
good or bad thing, but I have never had problems before doing it that way.

> A good thing to try is often to do a make clean on your kernel tree,
> make sure it's configured the way you want it, and then do a fresh
> build, install it, and boot into it...  Typically when you get
> unresolved symbols like that, it indicates some sort of kernel mismatch.

Will try this.  I wish the docs were clearer on how to patch the kernel
using the bttv driver 0.7.  Maybe I'll try the 0.9 driver.