[mythtv-users] bttv driver

Nathan Poznick poznick at conwaycorp.net
Sun Apr 6 20:04:23 UTC 2003

Thus spake Iohan Reyes:
> Hi all...my odyssey continues.  I have managed to install X, ALSA, XMLTV,
> LAME, and mythtv but when I run mythtv-setup it segfaults at input
> connections, apparently because I have no /dev/video.  I am assuming this
> is probably because I have not properly installed my bttv driver.  The
> problem is, the website and docs are not very clear on the proper way of
> installing the bttv driver.  I read the READMEs, I had a /usr/src/linux
> ready because of a previous kernel recompile, so I thought a simple make,
> make install would work for the 0.7 bttv driver, it seemed like it worked,
> but then I had a bunch of unresolved symbols and the module doesn't work.
> I am willing to do it over or do it a different way, but would like some
> guidance on the best way to install the bttv-driver and where I can get
> good step-by-step instructions.  I plan on putting all of this on my
> website for future reference once I get it working...

The source tree that you had... did you configure, compile, and install
your currently running kernel from it?  Also, when you went into the
configuration to add the bttv driver, did you make everything a module?

A good thing to try is often to do a make clean on your kernel tree,
make sure it's configured the way you want it, and then do a fresh
build, install it, and boot into it...  Typically when you get
unresolved symbols like that, it indicates some sort of kernel mismatch.

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick at conwaycorp.net>

The censure of those who are opposed to us, is the highest commendation
that can be given us. - Seigneur de Saint-Evremond