[Mythtv-soc] MythTV Autoconfiguration Status

David Blain mythtv-soc at TheBlains.net
Mon Jul 24 19:34:03 UTC 2006

The UPnP code should work with multi-homed backends... Can you give more
details about your network setup?  It may be that there is a bug in my code
that could be easily fixed.

David Blain.

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-soc-bounces at mythtv.org [mailto:mythtv-soc-bounces at mythtv.org]
On Behalf Of Kenny Root
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 11:36 AM
To: mythtv-soc at mythtv.org
Subject: [Mythtv-soc] MythTV Autoconfiguration Status

I have been working on the automatic backend discovery mechanism using UPnP
which seems to work. However, I ran into a snag in my own setup since I have
multiple subnets in my house. The test MythTV master backend supports jumbo
frames and is on a different segment than my test MythTV clients, so UPnP
doesn't work very well. I'm investigating ways to get around this. Multicast
DNS is well-established in that it has servers that help you bridge subnets.
I'm looking at writing my own implementation of mDNS for MythTV so I can get
support for multiple subnets while leveraging existing (well-known) packages
on the router.