[mythtv] ATSC scan, default channel number

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 08:32:17 UTC 2021

On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 at 22:57, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Klaas,
>
> I am setting up a new development machine to do some work. In the process
> I noticed that when scanning ATSC channels, no default channel number is
> given and the user must manually choose one for every single channel. This
> is when the user chooses to manually pick which channels get inserted into
> the DB.
>
> For example, the message I am getting is:
>
>> You chose to manually insert channel 7_1 (KOAT-DT). Please enter a unique
>> channel channel number. Default value is
>>

> If I just click on OK, it just redraws the same dialog box. Instead I have
> to select Edit and type in 7_1. I could have sworn this was more automatic
> the last time I did this. Any chance you can have it pick a good default?
>
> Hi John,

This definitely should be automatic so there is something really wrong.
The correct behavior is to use the received channel number without asking
and when there is a conflict the suggestion channel number is with a letter
added.
There should also be the option in the dialog for "OK for all"  so that it
is never asked again.
It could be a coincidence but there are also threads in the forum about
ATSC cable scanning not working at all or crashing once the scan is
complete. And that is with v31. I assume you are using master.
At least you still get the correct channel numbers and names, which the
ATSC cable scans do not even do anymore.
What makes this a puzzle is that I have not changed anything significant in
the scanning code for a long time now.
On the other hand, maybe people do not do channel scans that often....
The scanning does work correctly with DVB-T2/C/S2 as you might have guessed.
I will have a look at the code this weekend and possibly try to do a simple
ATSC scan with a captured ATSC transport stream. Have done that in the past
so I should be able to do that again....
In the meantime, if you have an idea what is wrong be welcome to explore
and fix it!

Thanks,
Klaas.