[mythtv] Android playback synchronization (was Re: mythfrontend-20210221-arm-v32-Pre-2365-gb6e2003f64)

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 18:05:18 UTC 2021

On 23/02/2021 16:23, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 2/23/21 9:34 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>
>> On 2/23/21 8:43 AM, John wrote:
>>> Playback is very jerky with  the latest android build but fine with
>>> the same release on Intel hardware.
>>>
>>> Tested on F4K & Shield TV.
>>>
>>> I cannot say whether the issue is UK specific, tested with
>>> 1920*1080 at 25fps.
>>>
>>> H264 vaapi is good.
>>>
>>> Mediacodec and opengl on android poor.
>>>
>>> Apologies as I can't compile for android I cannot bisect the issue.
>>>
>>> FWIW mythfrontend-20201222-arm-v32-Pre-1870-g283caa7b84 is fine.
>>>

>> Have you tried the various options in the playback profile? I believe
>> the default playback profile for Mediacodec may have two entries, the
>> first one being for "Standard" decoding. If you have that it will use
>> Standard for everything and ignore the second entry. Delete the
>> "Standard" Entry if you have one and look at the Mediacodec entry.
>> There are options for Mediacodec and Mediacodec(decode only). Try
>> various options here to see if the problem is resolved.
>>
>> You may have already done this. I will try it out later myself to see
>> if I have the same issues and respond.
>>
>> At this point I am not working on the mythfrontend playback, Mark
>> Kendall is doing all of the work. I am just doing the packages. If the
>> problem persists, please create a ticket in github and Mark can take a
>> look at it.
>>
>> Peter
>>
> I tried it and I agree that playback is awful. There seems to be no
> synchronization of audio and video. The video shoots ahead at high speed
> and then slows to a crawl, then repeats that again.
>
> Possibly caused by chrono changes or playback changes.
>
> Peter

I have tried it with my Firestick 4K on a few of my UK DVB-T2 HD
recordings, although no longer in their original state;  with opengl
playback was indeed jerky, but via mediacodec there's just the usual
raggedness during panning.  As is usual now, leanfront is noticeably
smoother and I tend to use the linux PC frontends mainly for system
management.

John P