[mythtv] The usage of the 'recordedfile' table?

Roland Ernst rcrernst at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 10:37:48 UTC 2020

Facts:
The 'recordedfile' table stores details about the
containerformat and the used codecs of a recording,
as well as the file properties of that recording.

The 'recordedfile' table gets updated during in
progress-recording or after a recording is finished.
Mythtranscode updates the content of a recordedfile as well.
The entry of the 'recordedfile' is deleted on deletion of the recording.
Upnp reads codec and other data from the 'recordedfile' table.

Parts of the content of the 'recordedfile' is available
in the 'recordedmarkup' table as well:
Aspect, dimensions, duration, average frames speed of a recording.

The program "mythcommflag --rebuild" updates the markup table entries
listed above, but does not update the 'recordedfile' table entry.

In contrast, the frontend displays details about a recording which
are taken from the entry of the 'recordedprogram' table:
See file mythtv\programs\mythfrontend\progdetails.cpp
For example, the icons for the videodimensions (HD, 1080, 720)
are derived from the 'recordedprogram' entry,
i.e.: from the 'videoprop' and 'audioprop' values.

Please consider the following use case:
An existing recording is transcoded in place by a user job,
which changed the filename, codecs, duration, dimensions
etc. of that recording.
The user job has to take care that the 'recordedfile' table
and the 'recordedmarkup' table are updated accordingly.

Now my questions:
By what means do you update the 'recordedfile' table?
I know of the Python Bindings (v31+) or running an SQL command
directly, but are there other means to achieve this, like the
ServicesAPI or "mythutil" ?

In case of transcoding to a suitable video container format,
like matroska or mp4, do I need to preserve the entries in the
'recordedmarkup' table at all?
Can I simply clear the recorded-seek and -markup table entries
for that recording in that case?

Roland