[mythtv] Crash on leaving mythtv-setup in today's master (F31)

David Hampton mythtv at love2code.net
Wed Jul 8 03:25:12 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-07-07 at 16:15 +0100, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 03/07/2020 23:34, John Pilkington wrote:
> > On 03/07/2020 22:51, David Hampton wrote:
> >
> > > I just tried running mythtv-setup again, deleted all capture
> > > cards and
> > > video sources, reinput that info, and scanned for channels.  I
> > > don't
> > > get a crash.
> > >
> > > Is it possible for you to send me a stack trace?
> > >
> > > David
> >
> > If it isn't a general problem, sorry for the noise.  I started
> > mythtv-setup, got the UI display, and everything looked normal; I
> > didn't
> > change anything, but it crashed on exit, several times, and with
> > the
> > same errors.  But after several attempts to run the backend, setup
> > worked and the frontend is now looking ok (when running with
> > localhost).
> >
> > Gary's packages include debug stuff but I've not used it.
> > Something
> > else to try.
> >
> > John
>
> I thought this had gone away after I reset parts of my DB access
> (details on the users list), but I'm now seeing it in two Fedora 31
> systems running recent Master, 0a07cb3 and e05a8a8.  They crash on
> attempting to enter the General tab, but the back and frontends seem
> ok.
>   With my SL7.8 system, also on e05a8a8 but with MariaDB 5.5.65,
> mythtv-setup continues as expected and it all works.

I think I found and fixed the problem. There were a couple of iterators
over the channel list that still assumed the list was terminated with a
null entry. Whether or not MythTV would crash depended on whether or
not the memory immediately after the last entry was zero.

Please update and see if the problem still occurs.

David