[mythtv] Jumpy video playback

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 18:25:22 UTC 2020

On 27/01/2020 17:54, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I have a video playback problem with last Sunday's master and my
> Nvidia living room system when playing Eurosport recordings.
> When I have selected "NVIDIA VDPAU acceleration" then I can jump
> forward and backward and the picture is perfect.
> However, when I have selected "NVIDIA NVDEC acceleration" then after
> every jump there is a short period, about 0.2 seconds, of distorted
> picture.
> The interesting thing is that I have this on all recordings of the
> Eurosport channels  but not on any of the other channels that I watch
> from the same cable source. This could possibly be related to
> differences in video coding, GOP etc, but I have not dived into that.
> You should be able to reproduce this with the Eurosport stream that I
> have mailed earlier.
>
> Thanks,
> Klaas.

Just tried some UK HD (H.264) recordings using NVDEV Normal on my system
(was using VDPAU High Quality)  GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSe2, with
NVIDIA 435.21 driver and I am also seeing the short distortion on
forward and backward skips. No distortion with UK SD (MPEG-2). VDPAU
High Quality has no distortions on either HD or SD.

MythTV Version : v31-Pre-1824-g284185a6d4
MythTV Branch : master
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 31.20200101-1
QT Version : 5.9.5
Options compiled in:
  linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb using_firewire
using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr
using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto
using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg
using_opengl using_egl using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus
using_taglib using_v4l2 using_v4l2prime using_x11
using_libbluray_external using_xrandr using_profiletype
using_systemd_notify using_systemd_journal using_drm using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_freetype2
using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_opengles using_egl using_drm
using_vaapi using_nvdec using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg
using_libass using_libxml2

Mike