[mythtv] 2019-render: nvdec decoding artefacts in the editor

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 16:07:29 UTC 2019

On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 at 15:55, John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/11/2019 18:24, John Pilkington wrote:
> > On 05/11/2019 17:35, Mark Kendall wrote:
>

> >> Peter has also just offered to resync to latest FFmpeg - so hopefully
> >> we'll pick up sundry fixes like this.
> >
> > That's great - but I should clarify.  When I said that ffmpeg works, I
> > was referring to mythffmpeg, not current ffmpeg master.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Mark
>
> Amazingly d88a61dd rpms built and are running under Fedora 30.
> Unfortunately that hasn't fixed the static frame blockiness, and now I'm
> getting a brief shimmering effect after any jump :-(

You should update again for the new nv-codec-headers - not that it
will necessarily fix anything! - but nvdec won't be enabled by the
configure script without them.

I'm not seeing any improvements with the FFmpeg update. There is at
least one regression with resolution changes - it now crashes...

Other than that there seems to be a lot of 'green frame' flashes at
startup and the various issues I have with some vp9 and hevc clips
have not been resolved. So not the greatest update!

I'll keep digging.

> The OSD reports 1920x1080 at 25fps, H.264 nvdec, 2xGLSL linearblend.  The
> Firestick frontend and leanfront both play - apparently as before - with
> the new backend.

Any reason you are using GLSL (i.e. shaders) rather than the nvdec
deinterlacer? Just curious.

With respect to your previous report re mythffmpeg - what command line
are you using? I'm pretty sure mythffmpeg won't be using any form of
direct rendering, so probably not a meaningful comparison with the
myth code at present (and will also be why it is using more CPU).

regards
Mark