[mythtv] Audio distortion issue on Nvidia Shield

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Wed Nov 21 20:27:52 UTC 2018

On 11/18/18 2:46 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 11/18/18 4:35 PM, Michael wrote:
>> On 11/13/18 9:06 PM, Michael wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Peter,
>>>

>>> I was wondering if you had any other thoughts on the issue I was
>>> having with my shield.
>>>

>>> I currently have stereo upmix turned off on the shield.    If I play
>>> videos, randomly I get this screeching noise when starting a video
>>> or some times after fast forwarding. Rewinding or pausing for 3-4
>>> seconds often fixes the issue (until a commercial skip, etc ).
>>>

>>> Tonight I decided to do a little more testing.  I turned on stereo
>>> upmix and I could essentially ONLY get the screeching sound so I
>>> obviously turned that back off.   Should it also be off in the
>>> mythtv settings?
>>>

>>> I did recently update to the
>>> mythfrontend-20181102-arm64-v30-Pre-921-g35f94663d71 version w/ no
>>> change in behaviour.
>>>

>> Just another data point.   I bought another Shield TV this week for
>> the loft TV.    Very different TV model and same receiver brand ( but
>> different model ).
>>

>> I started with a new fresh profile and am having the same audio
>> issues with this one too.
>>

>> I never had issues with either of these TVs or receivers with the old
>> minimyth2 frontends.
>>

>> Michael
>>

> In Audio setup, under Digital Audio capabilities, do you have anything
> selected? Disable all of the check boxes there (Dolby Digital, etc.).
> Also turn off stereo upconvert and set speaker configuration to Stereo.

Hi Peter,

I played with variations of those capabilities today.  If I enable Dolby
Digital, I get the weird distortion issue.  Doesn't seem to matter what
the other options are in terms of generating the noise.  Both receivers
support Dolby Digital, so I am not sure what the issue might be.

I also noticed that even though my receivers support EAC3, TrueHD, and
DTS HD, those are not selectable in the MythTV menu. The menu items are
there, but if I scroll up/down, it just cycles between Dolby Digital and
DTS.

Michael