[mythtv] Audio distortion issue on Nvidia Shield

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 20:31:26 UTC 2018

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 1:28 PM Michael <mythtv at blandford.net> wrote:

> On 11/18/18 2:46 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> >> Just another data point.   I bought another Shield TV this week for
> >> the loft TV.    Very different TV model and same receiver brand ( but
> >> different model ).
> >>

> >> I started with a new fresh profile and am having the same audio
> >> issues with this one too.
> >>

> >> I never had issues with either of these TVs or receivers with the old
> >> minimyth2 frontends.
> >>

> >> Michael
> >>

> > In Audio setup, under Digital Audio capabilities, do you have anything
> > selected? Disable all of the check boxes there (Dolby Digital, etc.).
> > Also turn off stereo upconvert and set speaker configuration to Stereo.
>

> Hi Peter,
>

> I played with variations of those capabilities today.  If I enable Dolby
> Digital, I get the weird distortion issue.  Doesn't seem to matter what
> the other options are in terms of generating the noise.  Both receivers
> support Dolby Digital, so I am not sure what the issue might be.
>

> I also noticed that even though my receivers support EAC3, TrueHD, and
> DTS HD, those are not selectable in the MythTV menu. The menu items are
> there, but if I scroll up/down, it just cycles between Dolby Digital and
> DTS.
>

> Michael

Michael,

Just as another data point, I also have never gotten anything other than
stereo to work via the nVidia Shield.   At this point I have tried a few
different Shields hooked up to a few different receivers, and Dolby Digital
does not work with any of them.  I assume we (MythTV) are not configuration
the audio subsystem correctly, but have not had the time to dig into it.

John