[mythtv] Key mapping for BOOKMARK

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Mon Mar 19 10:49:47 UTC 2018

On 17/03/18 16:51, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 03/17/2018 12:59 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Looks good, but why not do the part that tests to see if they're
>> currently using the SELECT keys for bookmarks as a one-time DB update
>> instead of having to do it every startup?  It would be something like
>> the attached (totally untested) patch.  The main benefit of this
>> approach is that it doesn't clutter up tv_play.cpp with code we'll
>> always wonder how long we need to keep and it takes care of all the
>> hosts in the system at one time and is done forever.  Then, you can
>> just use the new-host default keylists in the REG_KEY lines in
>> tv_play.cpp for SETBOOKMARK and TOGGLEBOOKMARK (which would be the
>> empty string, "").
>>
> Hi Mike
>
> I did consider using a database schema upgrade for this. These are my
> thoughts.
>
> I think there are a number of users who run master. They will be forced
> to upgrade all frontends and backends when the code gets installed. This
> may be a penalty of running master, but I think it should be avoided
> when possible.

Master is for schema changes, and the only stream in which they can
be done. Those who run master accept this as a condition of running
it, and should be well familiar with the concept of DB backups prior
to running schema updating changes.

If a schema update is the best way to get it done, then in master
it should be done in a schema update.

Regards
Stuart