[mythtv] Key mapping for BOOKMARK

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Mar 15 18:27:18 UTC 2018

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 12:12:59PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> So you could map the SET_ or TOGGLE_BOOKMARK action as desired.  Or, really,
> as was the point of my message, it would be done for you, automatically, by
> the database update since you're not a new user.

I was just saying I am not so sure the most common bookmark user uses
the bookmark on exit.

Also changing what a new user gets vs an upgrade is not usually a
good idea.  What if I want to setup another frontend.  Now it behaves
differently and I have to go spend a bunch of effort to figure out why
the heck this is and how to fix it.

> Here I'm simply saying there are other approaches that would be available to
> a new user who hasn't mapped the action if it has an empty key list.  Sure,
> it could be good to have a discoverable option in the menu, too, but since
> using the menu to set a bookmark would be rather clumsy, I'd argue it's not
> necessary.  I would be for changing the Action on playback exit setting to
> default (for new users) to save position and exit.

I would think that would be very confusing.  I think people expect
playback to start from the beginning in general when they select a
recording.  Not a good default to change.

Do not assume single users.  Most households have multiple users who
may watch the same show at different times.

I think the current defaults that have been around for years are good,
and the suggested changes to the defaults are not.

--
Len Sorensen