[mythtv] Feedback on Myth frontend on Nvidia Shield

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 16:50:07 UTC 2018

On 06/18/2018 12:21 PM, Michael wrote:
> Hello MythTV developers,
>

> I am posting here versus the users list as I know the Android versions
> are still considered in development.
>
> A while back I saw some discussion of running mythfrontend on the
> Nvidia Shield and it piqued my curiosity as an option to replacing a
> full sized HTPC as a frontend.
>

> Peter Bennett was kind of enough to send me a version of the package:
> mythfrontend-20180501 and I have been playing with it heavily for the
> last few days once I finally got my Harmony hub paired to it to
> provide remote access emulating  keyboard controls.
>

> Overall, the experience has been pretty good.    I don't think the
> interlacing is quite as good as my existing Nvidia based HTPC, but
> overall, I am really pleased and looking to make the Shield my primary
> frontend.

I have now added hardware assisted decode, and the deinterlacing is much
better, although there are some other issues with it that I am dealing with.

> I did find two issues so far and wanted to see if anyone else is
> seeing this:
>

> 1) Mythtv parental controls - If you are using parental controls, when
> it prompts you to enter the pin, the input box never receives the key
> presses.     I verified this even just using a local USB keyboard.
> This is a key feature for me to keep the kids only seeing kid movies.

I have not tried that. I can take a look at it. If you like you can
create a ticket with component as Ports-Android. That will serve as a
reminder to me and give feedback to you when it is fixed.
> 2) If the frontend was left running when the shield goes to sleep or
> another app has been used for a while, it seems to take several
> seconds to become responsive again.   I was trying to find a key that
> would force the frontend to exit.   According to keys.txt, Alt-F4 is
> supposed to exit, but it doesn't seem to work.     I set a jump point
> <Ctrl>-O that takes the frontend to the main menu, but that actually
> seems to make the frontend exit.   Not sure if it is crashing or not.
>    My goal was to have the harmony autostart mythtfront in an
> activitiy and then exit the frontend when done using it.   Is Alt-F4
> working for others?

I have plans to look into what happens when MythTV goes into the
background or the Shield goes to sleep. For now it is best to exit
MythTV before that happens.

If the frontend just exits it is likely crashing. If you create a ticket
we can look into it.

I do not think Alt-F4 will cause it to exit. Is there a jump point for
exit? There probably should be one.