[mythtv] Feedback on Myth frontend on Nvidia Shield

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Mon Jun 18 16:21:52 UTC 2018

Hello MythTV developers,

I am posting here versus the users list as I know the Android versions
are still considered in development.

A while back I saw some discussion of running mythfrontend on the Nvidia
Shield and it piqued my curiosity as an option to replacing a full sized
HTPC as a frontend.

Peter Bennett was kind of enough to send me a version of the package:
mythfrontend-20180501 and I have been playing with it heavily for the
last few days once I finally got my Harmony hub paired to it to provide
remote access emulating  keyboard controls.

Overall, the experience has been pretty good.    I don't think the
interlacing is quite as good as my existing Nvidia based HTPC, but
overall, I am really pleased and looking to make the Shield my primary
frontend.

I did find two issues so far and wanted to see if anyone else is seeing
this:

1) Mythtv parental controls - If you are using parental controls, when
it prompts you to enter the pin, the input box never receives the key
presses.     I verified this even just using a local USB keyboard.  This
is a key feature for me to keep the kids only seeing kid movies.

2) If the frontend was left running when the shield goes to sleep or
another app has been used for a while, it seems to take several seconds
to become responsive again.   I was trying to find a key that would
force the frontend to exit.   According to keys.txt, Alt-F4 is supposed
to exit, but it doesn't seem to work.     I set a jump point <Ctrl>-O
that takes the frontend to the main menu, but that actually seems to
make the frontend exit.   Not sure if it is crashing or not.    My goal
was to have the harmony autostart mythtfront in an activitiy and then
exit the frontend when done using it.   Is Alt-F4 working for others?

Any thoughts on these?

Michael