[mythtv] 20180705 Android Observations

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 19:39:03 UTC 2018

On 07/11/2018 03:16 PM, David Engel wrote:
> I tried using yesterday's patch to watch the World Cup last night and
> some other stuff.  I had to abandon that when playback got very
> stuttery and I didn't have time to debug.  I suspect your sledge
> hammer was getting used repeatedly.  I tried again later and it
> happened again and then went away.  It didn't happen on my other
> shield, but I didn't test with it much.
Was this in normal playback, time stretch or fast forward? AFAIK the
IllegalStateException that the sledge hammer handles only happens in
fast forward or occasionally in skip/jump. (i.e. when flush is used).

>> I suppose I need to dig into the FFmpeg source code and figure out the
>> IllegalStateException and find the correct FFmpeg fix.
According to mediacodec documentation, IllegalStateException only
happens on dequeue output if the decoder is not executing or it is in
asynchronous mode.

It is not in asynchronous mode or dequeue output would never work.

The ways it can stop executing are if you call "stop" or "reset" or
"release" it. In ffmpeg there is a "stop" routine but it is never
called, and there is no reset routine.  It seems that there is no way to
get into a non-executing state. Prehaps it is in an error state.
Unfortunately there is no native API that will tell you the state.

It seems that this may be a bug in mediacodec on the shield. I don't
know how much I should do to try and work around it. I have tried
reordering calls and adding a stop and start after the flush, but
nothing has helped.
> FYI, this might be related.
> https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1056259/shield-tv/shield-experience-upgrade-7-0/post/5834167/#5834167
> .  Kodi doesn't use ffmpeg (AFAIK) for MediaCodec.  I don't know about
> Plex.

Perhaps I need to report this to NVidia

Peter