[mythtv] 20180705 Android Observations

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Jul 11 19:16:32 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 02:33:13PM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 07/08/2018 03:15 PM, David Engel wrote:
> > I hate it when results aren't consistent.  I never got the "Video
> > frame buffering failed too many times" error when I was trying to
> > catch it.  I only got it when I wasn't logging.  Ugh!
> >
> > I did catch some probably related errors, though.  Here they are.  All
> > of these were done with the unmodified, 0705 patch and audio
> > buffereing set to 300ms.
> >
> > One quick sidenote is that I captured the logs with "adb logcat
> > org.mythtv.mythfrontend".  What's strange is that the logcat would
> > exit when something happened for reasons that I don't understand.
> > First error?  I don't know.  Should I be running logcat differently?
> >
> > ffrew-timeout1: I got this when rewinding a 1 hour program at 20x.
> > Log 1 captured when the rewind hung.  Eventually, the screen went all
> > black, the position OSD came up and the current position time started
> > increasing as if the recording was playing back normally.  I think
> > mythfrontend thought it hit the beginning of the program and started
> > playing it back normally, but there wasn't any video.
> >
> > ffrew-timeout2: This is just like case 1 above except I was fast
> > forwarding and have more logs.  Log 2 is when the hang occurred.  Logs
> > 2a, 2b and 2c are when the fast forward was hung and the video was
> > still visible.  Log 2d if from when the video went all black and
> > position OSD was increasingly normally.  Eventually playback exited to
> > the watch recording screen without any error popup.
> >
> > rapid-skip3: I got this when rapidly skipping forward 10s at a time.
> > Log 3 is from when the hang occurred.  Logs 3a, 3b and 3c are from
> > when playback was hung.  Eventually, the end of recording menu popped
> > up, but it was totally unresponsive.  I had to force stop
> > mythfrontend.
> >
> > The jellyfish issue was also incosistent.  It did eventually crash
> > form me under gdb.  Everytime, it was due to a SIGKILL, presumably
> > because the system was out of memory.  Log 1 is from one of them.
> >
> By the way, I did get the logs in the email, so you didn't need to do the
> google share.

Okay.  I'll delete them.  I guess it was just the one to the list that
got held up.

> Jury duty over - there was no case so we got sent home after hanging around
> for 3 hours.
>
> The timeouts are all the same original issue - IllegalStateException.
>
> I tried all manner of ways to avoid the error in our code, but it seems to
> fire randomly during fast forward or skip.
>
> My latest patch (yesterday) fixes it with a sledge hammer and is certainly
> not optimal.

I tried using yesterday's patch to watch the World Cup last night and
some other stuff.  I had to abandon that when playback got very
stuttery and I didn't have time to debug.  I suspect your sledge
hammer was getting used repeatedly.  I tried again later and it
happened again and then went away.  It didn't happen on my other
shield, but I didn't test with it much.

> I suppose I need to dig into the FFmpeg source code and figure out the
> IllegalStateException and find the correct FFmpeg fix.

FYI, this might be related.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1056259/shield-tv/shield-experience-upgrade-7-0/post/5834167/#5834167
.  Kodi doesn't use ffmpeg (AFAIK) for MediaCodec.  I don't know about
Plex.

David
--
David Engel