[mythtv] NVidia Pixellation

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 17:53:14 UTC 2018

On 12/29/18 12:30 PM, Aman Gupta wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 10:54 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com
> <mailto:pb.mythtv at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 08/31/2018 01:43 PM, Aman Gupta wrote:
>>     I didn't get a clear answer: "has to do with motion vectors going
>>     outside of some normal limit"
>>
>     I imagine that if the transmitter changed it, that may result in a
>     reduction in quality, especially since they are working with less
>     bandwidth these days. That would mean reducing the quality for
>     everybody to satisfy a few NVidia users.
>

> Here's an acknowledgment of this bug on the NVIDIA forums by an employee:
> https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1076537/shield-tv/pixelation-when-watching-certain-channel-s-/post/5945645/#5945645
>

>     Peter

Thanks for the update. It is interesting that they somehow think it is a
silicondust problem, but anybody using mpeg2 would be affected. With
MythTV, we are able to use ffmpeg software decoding (if we set an
appropriate number of threads) without any adverse effect. I notice that
others report that kodi with software decoding is unacceptable on the
shield. They must not be using ffmpeg for software decoding, or maybe
are only using one thread.

Peter