[mythtv] FFmpeg plans

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Apr 30 12:45:20 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-04-30 at 10:04 +0100, Paul Harrison wrote:

> I think that could be a problem since you need write access to the
> upstream project to commit them.

No.  The sub{tree|repo} is a fork, not a pointer, to the upstream
module.

> What I do is fork the external project
> and then add my own fork as the submodule.

That is exactly what git sub{tree|repo} is.  It's really just tooling
around that workflow, keeping track of where you last synced from so
that you can pull changes since then, etc.

> It's easy to keep the fork in
> sync and you only have to do it when it's convenient.

Right.  Exactly what git sub{tree|repo} does also.  You decide when to
git sub{tree|repo} pull from upstream.

Cheers,
b.