[mythtv] ttvdb v2 support for 0.27

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Mon Aug 28 16:37:08 UTC 2017

I have back ported Mark Spieth's work to 0.27 running on mythbuntu
14.04. I've reached the point where all the doctest's pass, but before I
go further I've got some questions and concerns:

Mark's work touched more than just the ttvdb code. It also touched other
python bindings, especially database related code. I don't know what
other tools depend on those bindings and should be tested. I'm familiar
with the mytharchive plugin's mythburn.py and can test it, but what else?

For recordings, I rely only on metadata from Schedules Direct and have
disabled metadata look ups in my default recording template and in any
recording rules that predated recording templates. I do depend on
ttvdb.py for my video library and that's where I expect to focus most of
my unit testing. Will that be sufficient, or do I need to enable
metadata look ups for some, and hopefully not all of my recording rules?

Can upgrading the python package chardet from major version 2 to 3 cause
other python tools on my system to break? See background below.

Is it safe to assume that minor version upgrades to other python
packages won't cause problems?

The first time I run doctest's, when there's no ~/.mythtv/cache/tvdb_api
directory. I get a number of warnings:
1 SNIMissingWarning and 13 InsecurePlatformWarning's
Both types of warnings point to this link:
https://urllib3.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced-usage.html#ssl-warnings
Should I take the time to do as it recommends, install the pyOpenSSL
package and make the recommended code changes? Or, given that 0.27 isn't
officially supported, ignore the warnings if things work as is?

Should I add the contents of this email to ticket #13084, or should I
create a separate ticket just for 0.27, and maybe add cross references
between the two tickets?

If anyone is interested in my work, so far, it's here:
https://github.com/faginbagin/mythtv/tree/0.27-ttvdb-api-v2

Background on the python packages:
I installed python-pip from the ubuntu 14.04 package archive and used
pip to install or upgrade the required python packages.

To eliminate "No module named builtins"
$ sudo pip install future
To eliminate "No module named requests_cache"
$ sudo pip install requests_cache
To eliminate "AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute
'disable_warnings'", upgrade urllib3 from 1.7.1 to 1.22
$ sudo pip install --upgrade urllib3
To eliminate "TypeError: request() got an unexpected keyword argument
'json'" upgraded requests from 2.2.1 to 2.18.4
$ sudo pip install --upgrade requests
Side effect of this last step was to also install or upgrade these packages:
Install certifi 2017.7.27.1
Install idna 2.6
Upgrade chardet from 2.0.1 to 3.0.4

The chardet package upgrade might be a concern, since it is a major
version upgrade from 2 to 3. I assume the other packages shouldn't cause
problems because they are either at the same major version as those
provided by the ubuntu 14.04 package archive or they aren't available
from there. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Helen