[mythtv] Additional run-time dependencies

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Sun Aug 20 04:10:23 UTC 2017

On 8/19/2017 7:58 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 1:16 PM <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
> <mailto:f-myth-users at media.mit.edu>> wrote:
>
>          > Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 20:02:35 +0000
>          > From: Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com
>     <mailto:thomas at mashos.com>>
>
>          > I've just added these to the dependencies for mythtv-common.
>     In doing so,
>          > trusty builds needed to be stopped as the packages don't
>     exist at all on
>          > trusty.
>
>     Is it intentional that Myth is only buildable on the -latest- LTS,
>     and not all LTS's which are still supported?  I don't know of Myth
>     has an explicit policy one way or the other, but the whole point of
>     an LTS is not to have to reinstall with great frequency.
>
>     Would it instead be possible to build (and get errors) but declare ttvdb
>     grabbing not possible on that OS unless extra repos are enabled?  Such
>     grabbing seems an almost trivial reason to suddenly drop support for an
>     LTS that's still got almost two years to go.
>
>     P.S.  I also noticed the bug report saying lack of package availability
>     also breaks raspbian jessie.  Taken together, this seems to be affecting
>     a lot of releases for a very small amount of functionality.  How much of
>     what's in those packages could perhaps be moved directly into the
>     new code
>     for releases which lack the packages?
>

> The Mythbuntu team has always supported Latest LTS only and recommended
> upgrading every 2 years (although attempts are made to build packages
> for older LTS releases, if stuff causes them to break there no attempt
> to fix them).
>
> If I remove the blacklisting of Trusty, then the package will build but
> will fail to install due to missing dependencies. I might be able to
> backport those packages to the PPA if it's not too much effort.
> --
> -Thomas

I, for one, would certainly appreciate it if you could try to backport
those packages. I'm still on mythtv 0.27 and trusty and don't plan on
upgrading until trusty LTS ends. I experimented with mythtv 0.28 and
xenial and found it degraded playback of h264 SD content on one of my
older laptops I use as a frontend. As long as that laptop works and as
long as Canonical supports trusty, I don't want to upgrade. FMI, see
this thread I started in June:
https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/608926