[mythtv] Additional run-time dependencies

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Sat Aug 19 23:58:37 UTC 2017

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 1:16 PM <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:

>     > Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 20:02:35 +0000
>     > From: Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com>
>
>     > I've just added these to the dependencies for mythtv-common. In
> doing so,
>     > trusty builds needed to be stopped as the packages don't exist at
> all on
>     > trusty.
>
> Is it intentional that Myth is only buildable on the -latest- LTS,
> and not all LTS's which are still supported?  I don't know of Myth
> has an explicit policy one way or the other, but the whole point of
> an LTS is not to have to reinstall with great frequency.
>
> Would it instead be possible to build (and get errors) but declare ttvdb
> grabbing not possible on that OS unless extra repos are enabled?  Such
> grabbing seems an almost trivial reason to suddenly drop support for an
> LTS that's still got almost two years to go.
>
> P.S.  I also noticed the bug report saying lack of package availability
> also breaks raspbian jessie.  Taken together, this seems to be affecting
> a lot of releases for a very small amount of functionality.  How much of
> what's in those packages could perhaps be moved directly into the new code
> for releases which lack the packages?

The Mythbuntu team has always supported Latest LTS only and recommended
upgrading every 2 years (although attempts are made to build packages for
older LTS releases, if stuff causes them to break there no attempt to fix
them).

If I remove the blacklisting of Trusty, then the package will build but
will fail to install due to missing dependencies. I might be able to
backport those packages to the PPA if it's not too much effort.
--
-Thomas