[mythtv] Network Proxy

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 18:30:00 UTC 2017

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 4:43 PM, Peter Bennett <pgbennett at comcast.net> wrote:

> Does anybody have any recommendations on this?

No recommendations, but some (possible) history....

caveat emptor: I am sure I am misremembering the
various discussions, and I have not really looked at
any of the MyhthTV socket code recently, and
certainly have not tried to understand it well.

(A long time ago, with a Qt variant far far away) there
were various discussions regarding proxies.  I believe
Qt updated a bunch of proxy stuff around the 4.8.x
period, so I suspect some of *our* (where I mean
*your*) code may exist to deal with pre 4.8 issues
and are no longer relevant (or at least replaced with
new and different opportunities) now that the project
has moved to (at least) Qt 5.2.

It was further complicated because, as I recall, Qt
automagically used proxies in some cases (and that
magic did not always do what everyone would want).
And there are always the special cases where you
need more flexibility regarding proxies (and yes, that
could include reverse proxies for listeners).

FWIW, if you explicitly want to not use a proxy, I think
you may want to set it explicitly to avoid defaults:
    server->setProxy(QNetworkProxy::NoProxy)

And the solution for some is to explicitly unset the
http_proxy environment variable in their MythTV
service file, or properly configuring the no_proxy
env variable, or engineering their network according
to industry best practices using transparent proxies
at their upstream gateways.