[mythtv] Network Proxy

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Mon Aug 7 16:43:20 UTC 2017

I refer to this comment from a user

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10633#comment:33

He is having a problem because he has an http proxy in his environment
and mythtv is trying to use that for listening. I looked into the code
and it is looking for an environment variable and setting a default
proxy based on http_proxy

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/libs/libmythbase/mythmiscutil.cpp#L830

Then when it is listening it is using that. It seems to me that using an
http proxy for listening is incorrect. I would have thought that QT
would have ignored it but it is caused an unsupported operation error on
one of the ports in his setup (see the log in the above ticket). It is
not clear why only one of the ports is affected, but evidently removing
the http_proxy environment variable solves it.

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/libs/libmythbase/serverpool.cpp#L416

I think we can just remove that  "server->setProxy(m_proxy);" line in
the listen code, but I am not sure why it is there and whether it is
valid. I would think we should only use a proxy when accessing http
services, not when listening.

Does anybody have any recommendations on this?

Peter