[mythtv] Q about networking after recent networking improvements in master

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Sat Apr 15 15:42:29 UTC 2017

On 04/12/2017 03:58 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> (I'm running IPv6 using ULAs with your 'Networking improvements'
> commit and without this patch A-OK. Nice work.)

Hi Bill

How do you add the Unique local address to your systems?

I am thinking about updating the wiki IPV6 article and wondering about
the best way of doing it.

I have it working by creating a script and linking it to
/etc/network/if-up.d/010addipaddress. In that script I run a command ip
-6 address add $ipadd dev "$ifacename" with appropriate parameters. I
created a table of ULAs and MAC addresses. This works well, I get the
automatic Global IPv6 address from Comcast plus the ULA that I set up.

I could not find a more user-friendly way to do it with NetworkManager.
It allows automatic or manual configuration. I have to leave automatic
configuration in place to get a valid Global IPv6 address. It would be
nice if NetworkManager allowed you to use automatic plus add additional
IP addresses to the list at the same time.

Peter