[mythtv] Possible navigation bug in Mythfrontend 0.28

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Tue Jul 19 20:07:42 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm not sure if it's OK to post bug reports here, if not my apologies.
I did search for the MythTV Bugzilla, but it seems to be missing:
https://www.mythtv.org/bugs/

We upgraded to 0.28 two weeks ago, and while it's been wonderfully flawless,
using the same Mythbuntu theme (which we've been using for years) we get
this problem.  Note: we did not upgrade the theme because the maintainer of
the theme changed it's layout. So the theme is years old.  This may be a
source of the problem, I don't know.

Anyway - on to the problem description:

Browsing static videos (i.e.: not recordings), we see the set of files in a
5x3 grid on the screen.

If the number of videos+1 is <= 15 ([..] with 14 files) it's fine.
If the number of (videos+1) % 15 == 0, then it's fine too.

But if the number of videos+1 would need a partial off-screen row, it is not
possible to see, nor arrow-key-down to, that last partial row.
The navigation behaves weirdly when moving from (what should be) the
2nd-last row - always going back to the first row on [Down-arrow].

If you are on the *last item* on screen, on row n-1, (so only a partial row
should be next), it's possible to push [Right-arrow] and scroll through the
tail of the list.  This gives a theoretical layout:

0.27 and before:

[..] [01] [02] [03] [04]
[05] [06] [07] [08] [09]
[10] [11] [12] [13] [14]
[15] [16] [17]

0.28

[..] [01] [02] [03] [04]
[05] [06] [07] [08] [09]
[10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17]

What I'm saying is that in 0.27 we would see 4 rows of videos.
Now in 0.28, we get only 3 rows of videos. Unless you know to move to video
[14] then use [right-arrow] to move along the row, videos [15] [16] [17] can
never be seen.

I'm not sure if there's a magic-number of videos that only causes this problem.
My current belief is that no partial row (in my case any row with < 5
elements) is ever shown.
But maybe it works with some combination that I have not seen yet.
That said, the upgraded myth box has been under some "heavy acceptance
testing" by the kids during school holidays, so I'm confident in the
veracity of this bug report.

We are using 0.28 from a mythbuntu install with all available updates.
I can post any needed hardware/software specs if required, but I don't think
their pertinent to this problem.

thanks for your time,
-kt