[mythtv] 0.28 Release Schedule

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Sat Jan 9 15:19:31 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2016-01-09 at 14:51 +0000, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Saturday 09 Jan 2016 14:16:06 Lawrence Rust wrote:
> > Ubuntu 12.04 is just 3 years old
>
> Much closer to 4 years old ...
>
> Which I'd agree wouldn't be very long if it wasn't for the fact that there is
> absolutely no hardship in upgrading to 14.04.

There are significant changes between these versions that break some
applications.  Yet another example of gratuitous 'Not Invented Here'
upgrades.

It's said that Windows suffers from 'DLL hell' because of its version
compatibility mantra.  But the alternative hard/fast cut-off is
commercial suicide.  It's hard/fast cut-off points which severe all
backwards compatibility that force many commercial customers into the
clutches of Windows.

>  I don't even think our Ubuntu
> packagers have any interest in supporting 12.04 any more.
>
> Even commercial users of MythTV,  producing appliances aren't using
> distributions as old as 12.04.

This isn't about new customers, it's about keeping and encouraging
existing ones - maximising the user base.

> > I don't want to support a 20 year old code base like Windows did
> > (before 10) but at least 5 years seem appropriate.
>
> Well to that point, QT 4.8 IS over 5 years old and is officially EOL.

But it is still supported:
http://doc.qt.io/qt-4.8/index.html

> Certainly post 0.28 maintaining QT 4 support would be impossible since it
> would preclude us taking advantage of any QT 5 features.

Not impossible, just more thought provoking.  It doesn't prevent the
development of code using new Qt features, only they are conditionally
compiled.

When Ubuntu 16.04 or FC24 ship will you deprecate Qt 5.4 usage to take
advantage of C++11 compiler features in Qt5.5 like lamdas, const_exprs
etc ?  That will really minimise the user base.

--
Lawrence Rust