[mythtv] Reducing frontend startup time

Dan Wilga mythtv-dev2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Fri Jan 8 21:46:08 UTC 2016

On 1/8/16 3:38 PM, warpme wrote:

>>> BTW: In my case Bonjur code also has bug: if there is enabled
>>> AirPlay video - there is race in concurrent starting audio and video
>>> Bonjur services leading to FE crash.
>>> In Minimyth2 crash is average per 10-15 starts.
>>
>> I must hold my hands up and admit that I don't have the Bonjour
>> headers/libs installed.  I've never needed it so I've never tried.  I
>> must get around to installing the dev package and give it a try.
>>
>> In all honesty I don't see why, with a bit of effort, we can't get the
>> time until Myth displays some kind of UI down to just a second or so.
>> It doesn't inspire confidence in an app when it takes an age to show
>> just a basic UI.  Even on a combined FE/BE there is a significant pause
>> after starting any Myth program.
>
> I was proposing to move Bonjur init to separate thread - but JYA
> refused idea with „works for me” answer.
> I still think it will be great to have it in separate thread.
>
> BTW: all this startup speed-up is important for Minimyth2 as it is
> appliance and I’m using S3 sleep-resume.
> Unfortunately due https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12229 I have to
> quit/re-launch mythfrontend process in sleep-resume cycle.
> In such case Your’s start-up speedups are much welcome for minimyth2.
> Ideally will be to have #12229 fixed.
> In such case mythtv appliance startup(resume in fact) can be instant
> (i.e. on IntelNUC I’m reaching 2-3 sec from remote power press to
> mythtv mainmenu).
Interesting. I have always had trouble using MFE after resume from S3
sleep, but with slightly different symptoms. In my case I also
experience the problem after the machine has been asleep for some
unknown length of time greater than a few minutes. But my FE acts as
though it has dropped the UDP port connected to lircd on my BE, so it is
unable to receive remote control keypresses. IIRC, things work perfectly
from the keyboard.