[mythtv] Reducing frontend startup time

warpme warpme at o2.pl
Fri Jan 8 20:38:39 UTC 2016

>> BTW: In my case Bonjur code also has bug: if there is enabled AirPlay video - there is race in concurrent starting audio and video Bonjur services leading to FE crash.
>> In Minimyth2 crash is average per 10-15 starts.
>
> I must hold my hands up and admit that I don't have the Bonjour
> headers/libs installed.  I've never needed it so I've never tried.  I
> must get around to installing the dev package and give it a try.
>
> In all honesty I don't see why, with a bit of effort, we can't get the
> time until Myth displays some kind of UI down to just a second or so.
> It doesn't inspire confidence in an app when it takes an age to show
> just a basic UI.  Even on a combined FE/BE there is a significant pause
> after starting any Myth program.

I was proposing to move Bonjur init to separate thread - but JYA refused idea with „works for me” answer.
I still think it will be great to have it in separate thread.

BTW: all this startup speed-up is important for Minimyth2 as it is appliance and I’m using S3 sleep-resume.
Unfortunately due https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12229 I have to quit/re-launch mythfrontend process in sleep-resume cycle.
In such case Your’s start-up speedups are much welcome for minimyth2.
Ideally will be to have #12229 fixed.
In such case mythtv appliance startup(resume in fact) can be instant (i.e. on IntelNUC I’m reaching 2-3 sec from remote power press to mythtv mainmenu).

> Many thanks for your feedback and encouragement.

Oh - believe me - it is GREAT PLEASURE for me to work with You!