[mythtv] MythTV 0.28 and systemd and Ubuntu 15.10 (wily) or 16.04 (xenial)

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Fri Jan 8 15:40:03 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 7:34 AM Peter Bennett <pgbennett at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 01/07/2016 04:30 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> > On 01/07/2016 03:11 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> >> Hi Guys
> >>
> >> Since Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial) is not yet ready I am trying 0.28 with
> >> 15.10  (Wily).
> >>
> >> I installed xubuntu 15.10 and installed mythtv 0.28 from
> >> ppa:mythbuntu/0.28
> >>
> >> It looks like it is still trying to use Upstart, but Upstart has now
> >> been replaced by systemd.  The backend is not starting up. It still is
> >> using a script in /etc/init/
> >>
> >> Am I missing something here?
> >>
> >> I am trying to get up to speed with systemd. As far as I can see we need
> >> a script in /etc/systemd/system/ and we need to run "sudo systemctl
> >> enable service-name.service".  Can I help with getting this set up?  I
> >> can create a script and test it then send it on to you for including in
> >> place of the upstart script?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running Ubuntu 15.10 and 0.28-pre.
> >
> > 1st, make sure you don't already a .service file for MythTV, I've
> > worked with users that did:
> >
> >     systemctl cat --no-pager mythtv-backend
> >
> > If not, or if you want to adjust the one that's in
> > /lib/systemd/system/...
> > then adding it to /etc/systemd/system/ as you said above is right.
> > I've been
> > learning about it too and here's mine:
> >
> > $ systemctl cat --no-pager mythtv-backend.service #
> > /etc/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service
> > # Useful commands, the 2nd set requires root privs.
> > #   systemctl cat --no-pager mythtv-backend
> > #   systemctl status mythtv-backend
> > #   systemctl is-enabled mythtv-backend
> > #
> > #   systemctl enable mythtv-backend
> > #   systemctl daemon-reload
> > #   systemctl reload mythtv-backend
> > #   systemctl start  mythtv-backend
> > #   systemctl stop   mythtv-backend
> >
> > [Unit]
> > Description=MythTV Backend
> > Documentation=https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythbackend
> > # TODO: Add TAG+="systemd" to the tuner udev rules and add to the next
> > line.
> > After=mysqld.service network-online.target
> >
> > [Service]
> > User=mythtv
> > EnvironmentFile=-/etc/mythtv/additional.args
> > ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/nm-online --quiet --timeout=5
> > ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/mythbackend --logpath /var/log/mythtv --quiet
> > $ADDITIONAL_ARGS $MYTHTV_BE_OPTS
> > StartLimitBurst=10
> > StartLimitInterval=15m
> > Restart=on-failure
> > RestartSec=30
> >
> > [Install]
> > WantedBy=multi-user.target
> >
> > Pay attention to the output of systemctl status mythtv-backend. I've seen
> > users that were failing because the service wasn't enabled.
> >
> > ● mythtv-backend.service - MythTV Backend
> >    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service;
> > enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
> >    Active: active (running) since Thu 2016-01-07 15:13:19 CST; 8min ago
> [...]

There are 3 issues that I'm aware of that I'm currently investigating fixes
for.

1) mythtv-backend isn't set to start at boot. This actually looks fairly
trivial to fix as there is a dh_ script to assist with enabling this. I've
just pushed this fix to the 0.28 packaging.
2) mysql listens on localhost only due to their config file. There is a new
conf file in mysql that gets read after ours making mysql listen on
localhost only. It would be bad for us to edit their config file, so I'm
not sure the best way to fix this.
3) The database we ship doesn't work quite right without firing off
mythtv-setup first. I think I've got a handle on this, just need some time
to fix this.
--
Thomas Mashos