[mythtv] OpenMAX/Raspberry Pi 2 support

Mark Spieth mark at digivation.com.au
Tue May 19 22:08:50 UTC 2015

On 20/05/2015 7:45 AM, Thomas Mashos wrote:

> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 2:32 PM Chris Weiland <chrisjweiland at gmail.com
> <mailto:chrisjweiland at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I know there were fears that the older Pis couldn't support a full
>     fledged mythfronted due to memory constaints and poor cpu
>     performance. But with the Pi 2, I wouldn't think there would be
>     any hardware limitations to this. I was able to compile and run
>     the frontend just fine - navigating around felt just fine, but
>     obvioisly I'm unable to actually play videos.

FWIW my experience with android mythfrontend seems to indicate that 1G
ram is ok (nexus7 2012) but has trouble playing HD and SD above real time.
my 2G SGS4 seems ok in this regard and can play HD at faster than real time.

Not enough data points yet to draw any firm conclusions in this regard.

The way the player uses buffers would require a complete redesign to
reduce RAM memory requirements significantly.
As well as all the caching that happens in the frontend ...

cheers
mark