[mythtv] OpenMAX/Raspberry Pi 2 support

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Tue May 19 21:45:04 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 2:32 PM Chris Weiland <chrisjweiland at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I know there were fears that the older Pis couldn't support a full fledged
> mythfronted due to memory constaints and poor cpu performance. But with the
> Pi 2, I wouldn't think there would be any hardware limitations to this. I
> was able to compile and run the frontend just fine - navigating around felt
> just fine, but obvioisly I'm unable to actually play videos.
>
> I'm interested in trying to add OpenMAX support to mythfrontend to allow
> for really cheap front end devices. I've scoured the archives and have not
> found any sign of anybody working on this yet. So I just wanted to express
> my interest and see if there is anything that I might need to know or if
> there is someone else already working on this.
>
> Even if I'm not the one to do this, I think this would be a great addition
> to this already-great
> project._______________________________________________
> mythtv-dev mailing list
> mythtv-dev at mythtv.org

I agree that it would be a great addition to the project. I don't recall
seeing anyone currently working on this. The most recent discussion I see
is this

http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2015-February/376114.html

I seem to recall that someone had started some work on it but stopped for
some reason. I want to say it was JYA, but I don't recall.

When you get some code I can certainly test it as I'm in the process of
ordering a second Raspberry Pi 2 since over the weekend I moved my entire
mythtv backend to it (In the middle of an upgrade to 14.04 I had a video
card blow).