[mythtv] Merging cards and inputs, testing help needed

David Engel david at istwok.net
Mon Jan 19 02:16:58 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 04:49:23PM -0500, George Nassas wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2015, at 1:29 AM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> >
> > I have tested these changes on the tuners that I have available and
> > things seem to work as intended.  The tuners I have are single input
> > DVB cards and an HDHR Prime and a Ceton ETH6.  That leaves many other
> > things I can't test myself and now need others with different tuners
> > and setups to help me out.
>
> I have a HVR-1600 which is a single DVB device with a single V4L2 device, a HVR-2250 which is a dual tuner DVB device and dual tuner ivtv device and an original HD HomeRun. I think that covers several of your desired scenarios. As I was testing I pulled various tables and saved them here: http://pastebin.com/my4TE4ns, the names are the same as mythconverg tables with underscore suffixes denoting when they were taken.

Thanks.  I'll take close look at your pastebin tomorrow.

> > Here are some general things I need tested by anyone who is willing to
> > help.
> >
> > 1. Verify that the schema update results in a correct and working
> > configuration.
>
> The update went OK and the backend was able to record afterwards (_preconvert & _postconvert).

Great.

> > 2. Verify that cards and inputs can still be added, modified and
> > deleted.
>
> Deleted my two 2250 devices and recreated them, I screwed up the first attempt so there might be a gap in numbering. The two 2250 tuners were then re-added with 4 simultaneous recordings rather than the 2 I usually run with (_add2250).
>
> Deleted my ivtv tuner and re-added it along with the two analog tuners for the 2250 (_addivtv).
>
> I then added input connections (_addedinputconnections).
>
> > Here are some more specific things that I need tested by anyone with
> > the right hardware.
> >
> > 3. Verify that multiple inputs on V4L and HD-PVR tuners still work
> > when they are configured as separate cards.
>
> I don't see how to configure each input on a V4L card. My various IVTV devices have tuner, svideo and composite inputs but I don't know how to configure more than one at a time. I think I've done this in the past so something may have changed and left me disoriented.

This is slightly different from before.  When you configure the "input
connection" now for a card with multiple inputs, you choose the input
you want for this "MythTV card" from the combobox.  To use another
input on the same physical card, create another "MythTV card" and
choose the other input when you configure its input connection.

Note that you don't need to add any special inputgroup information for
this case.  MythTV now automatically creates inputgroup entries for
each physical device.  The only time user configured inputgroups are
now needed is when there is some external relationship that MythTV
can't know about any other way.  For example, if a firewire card and
an HD-PVR share the same STB, an inputgroup is still needed.

> > 4. Verify that multiple inputs on a DVB card still work.  I don't
> > fully understand what having multiple inputs on such a card really
> > means, but MythTV appeared to have some support for it and I tried not
> > to break it.
>
> Also not sure what this is.
>
> I ran out of time to do much testing with recording mostly because I'd have to rescan the on dvb device I deleted and recreated but the devices I didn't delete/recreate continued to work as before. I did schedule three subchannels on the 2250 which was recreated with 4 (virtual?) tuners and the scheduler did know to put then all on that one device. When it came to start recording it failed due the device's channels to not being scanned but the scheduling part seems fine.

Did you delete the videosource during your testing?  Simply deleting
and re-adding cards should require a rescan.

> If you want something else or more detail I can test again Monday and Tuesday and then I won't be able to do anything for a week.

This is a great help, George.  Thanks a lot.  The big remaining thing
that would be nice if you could test it is recording off multiple
inputs on the same IVTV or 2250, and on the HD-PVR, but not at the
same time, of course.  The big concern I have with these recorder
types is avoiding overlapping access from different "MythTV cards".
As best as I can tell, these cards are opened only on demand, so
inputgroups should prevent simultaneious access.  I'd still like to
see it confirmed, though.

David
--
David Engel