[mythtv] Remove Fill Packets

Richard Hulme peper03 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 16:45:56 UTC 2015

On 23/04/15 16:45, Ryan Lavender wrote:
> On 21/04/15 19:35, Ryan Lavender wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am having an issue with my firewire cablebox, where the MPEG TS stream
>> contains an overwhelming number of fill packets (PID = 0x1fff). This
>> causes my recordings to be very large (2.4 GB = 10 min). Can someone
>> point me in the right direction for writing a patch to get MythTV to
>> discard fill packets?
>
>     Hi Ryan,
>
>     I've no experience with the firewire recorder but from what I can see
>     from the code, it looks like you should be able to alter the recording
>     profile(s) for your card in mythtv-setup. Changing the 'Recording type'
>     to 'Normal' to 'TV Only' should cause all non-video, audio or subtitle
>     packets to be discarded.
>
>     Richard.
>

> I don’t see that option in mythtv-setup. Under recording profiles for my
> Firewire Input, I have Default, Live TV, High Quality and Low Quality.
> However, it doesn’t really let me select one of them. If I click on one
> it just takes me to a settings pages with only two option: Name and
> Allow automatic transcoding.
>
> I am using the fixes/0.27 branch.

Hi Ryan,

Ok, I've had a closer look at the code (not that I understand how all of
it fits together) and it seems that this feature is not (currently)
available for Firewire cards.

stuarta has just pushed a change to Master to strip fill packets for
Firewire recorders.  https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/b0138ce
should apply to 0.27 too so give it a go.

Richard.