[mythtv] upnp on master with panasonic viera series e5

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Sep 23 20:02:37 UTC 2014

On 23/09/14 19:09, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 Sep 2014 18:05:23 John Pilkington wrote:
>> Now running today's v0.28-pre-2229-gde13151
>>
>> Playback of content in Recordings/Music/Videos seems unchanged from my
>> earlier posts. SD MPEG2-PS does not play, but after conversion of that
>> processed recording back to MPEG2-TS it does play.  I would like to
>> continue using -PS because cutting with the Project-X demuxer is more
>> robust than its direct cutting with TS output.
>>
>> The TV is capable of PS playback; it worked in 0.24.3 and
>> patched-0.27.3.  I don't know what has got lost.
>
> There was a non DLNA compliant hack which described all video as 'NTSC in
> MPEG-2 PS format', even for DVB (pal) AVC TS streams.
>
> This hack has gone, and we now have support for telling the difference between
> AVC and MPEG-2, HD and SD and ATSC vs DVB standards. What's still missing is
> support for differentiating between TS and PS. Since all broadcast material
> uses TS, we assume that it actually is TS for now.
>
> DLNA only supports HD in a PS container when the audio stream is also DTS, so
> in your case I'm uncertain what the behaviour would be. We'd fall back to
> specifying no DLNA profile at all, which with some players means no seeking is
> possible.
>
> For now I think the simplest fix would be to offer a setting that disables DLNA
> compliance mode entirely. This means you get none of the benefits of DLNA
> features, but for the most part these are minor.
>
> Even if I manage to implement support for determining that recordings which
> recording use PS and which use TS, recordings which are transcoded outside of
> MythTV will still be mis-described until you re-run a tool to 'fix' the
> description in the database. This tool is planned, but is not currently
> available.

Hi Stuart:  Thanks for your quick response - and, of course, for looking
into this.

I don't know if other people have PS/HD material.  I don't.  My cut HD
material is still TS, and plays via upnp with only minor glitches at
internal cuts.

My PS/SD material is usually produced en route to DVD, and often quickly
deleted from disk.  It seems I can now re-convert to TS and play via
upnp if I want to.  The DVDs play on stand-alone players.

I guess I need to re-investigate Music via upnp, and perhaps look at
mkv.  But please don't stop!

John