[mythtv] Feature patch #12168 - Extend IPTV recorder to support TS streams over HTTP

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 15:15:08 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 3:52 AM, Lincoln Rogers <lincoln at performaplus.co.nz>
wrote:

> Hi Devs,
>
> Re: https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12168
>
> I have created a feature patch for my work extending the IPTV recorder to
> support TS streams over HTTP such as those from a dreambox.
>
> It applies cleanly to fixes/0.27 and I was wondering if there is a
> developer who has some time to look at this as. It requires no new
> dependencies and it extends the IPTVStreamHander class with some other
> small modifications to a number of other classes. It should not affect HLS
> as it differentiates between HLS playlists and video streams.
>
> The only issue I am currently aware of (and would like to discuss) is this:
>
> To differentiate between http-hls and http-ts, I added a enum (rdp, rtp,
> rtsp, http_hls, http_ts) to iptvtuningdata.h. Tuningdata is populated by
> ChannelUtil::GetIPTVTuningData so I added to that to populate it with a
> type.
>
> UDP, RTP, RTSP and HTTP are determined by the URL prefix, and HLS and TS
> are differentiated by downloading a limited sample of the URL to check if
> it is an HLS playlist or a HTTP_TS video stream. Rather than duplicating
> code I have used HLSReader::IsValidPlaylist to test this, but this makes
> channelutil dependent on the HLSReader class. Is this ok?

It would be better to move IsValidPlaylist to a common ancestor.  There is
some duplicated HLS/playlist code between the HLS 'player' and the
'recorder'.  When I re-did the recorder I chose to duplicate it to make
sure I didn't break anything in the player, but it really should be move to
a place where it can be commonly used.

> Additionally, this patch also adds a new Myth System Event for channel
> lock timeout so that a user can specify a script to reboot their stb (mine
> occasionally freezes).
>
> Would love to see this committed so please let me know if there are
> problems.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lincoln.

Thank you for your work on this.  I will try to take a look at it in the
near future.

John