[mythtv] MythWeb

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Thu Jan 30 12:52:18 UTC 2014

On 30/01/2014 11:32, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/30/2014 04:39 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:

>>> Then it's just a matter of educating the user with best practice; or
>>> let
>>> the packagers handle that.
>>>
>>> No need to expose the mythbackend port to everyone out there.
>> But surely you need it exposed so that you can set up recordings when
>> away from home.
>
>  From /this/ thread:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/562560#562560
> -----
> Michael Dean has previously stated that there is a need for a
> (modular/separable) web front end to allow "Internet" access with
> security (authentication and authorization).
> -----
>
> and
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/562571#562571
> -----
> As Michael Dean has proposed, one should provide an
> external (possibly PHP/apache) front-end authentication/
> authorization application that provides the fine-grained
> and security functions that people should be wanting.
> -----
>
> and some of the (many) posts Gary was referring to:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/561451#561451
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/557714#557714
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/519094#519094

Ah right. I hadn't been following this closely until I saw the
mention of the security issue. Certainly, if all that goes ahead,
we'll end up with something very nice.

One new worry I have: is this new interface exposed by just
mythfrontend? I ask because my frontend is usually turned off when
I'm out of the house.

P.