[mythtv] MythWeb

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jan 30 11:32:33 UTC 2014

On 01/30/2014 04:39 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 30 January 2014 07:03:07 GMT, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> On Thursday, January 30, 2014, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>
>>> I said just said "take over port 80" to match the previous post. I
>>> think which port you use is irrelevant. Which ever you use, most users will
>>> want it open to the internet, and you are processing raw http requests
>>> from potential attackers.
>>>

>> Then it's just a matter of educating the user with best practice; or
>> let
>> the packagers handle that.
>>
>> No need to expose the mythbackend port to everyone out there.
> But surely you need it exposed so that you can set up recordings when away from home.

 From /this/ thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/562560#562560
-----
Michael Dean has previously stated that there is a need for a
(modular/separable) web front end to allow "Internet" access with
security (authentication and authorization).
-----

and

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/562571#562571
-----
As Michael Dean has proposed, one should provide an
external (possibly PHP/apache) front-end authentication/
authorization application that provides the fine-grained
and security functions that people should be wanting.
-----

and some of the (many) posts Gary was referring to:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/561451#561451
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/557714#557714
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/519094#519094

Mike