[mythtv] ringbuffer.cpp

Jonas Arndt jonas.arndt at thearndtfamily.com
Sat Feb 22 16:18:33 UTC 2014

On 02/21/2014 10:26 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 22 February 2014 14:52, Jonas Arndt <jonas.arndt at thearndtfamily.com> wrote:
>
>> So my friend had another freeze. I was running the flags -v file
>> --loglevel=debug
>> This was in the back-end log:
> it is having the issue I was mentioning before. It takes over 360ms
> between two writes on the backend, so the read treats it as EOF (the
> recording has ended) and the frontend will freeze and timeout after
> 16s.
>
> I'm still working on a universal solution for that one.
> I have a fix for when you're straaming for the backend, but it will
> break FE/BE combo :(
>
> Not sure it will work in your case anyway, you can see in your log
> that the BE didn't write anything for over 4s.
>
> There's no way you can handle live TV without freeze or abort when you
> starve playback from data for such long time.
>
> Recover from 1-2s sure... 4s... no way

Thanks JY,

So the one difference between my friend's system and mine is that his
HDHomeRun goes through a cheap Netgear Wifi AP router. It is NOT on Wifi
but the router is only 100 Mbps and, looking at the IO Graph (Wireshark)
it looks a bit iffy. Every 30 seconds the bandwidth goes down
significantly (like an inverted spike). Do you think that this lack of
data can trigger the bug you are working on? I don't have the same IO
graph on my system, where the HDHomeRun is plugged straight into the 1
Gbps switch. In any case, we will move his HDHomeRun today so that it
also goes straight to the switch.

On your current fix (that breaks FE/BE combo), I would be happy to test
that if that is useful to you. I know something else will come out in
the end, but it would certainly be super if I can get my friend's system
stable (he is not doing FE/BE combo) and start focusing on something
else during the weekends;-)

Cheers,

// Jonas