[mythtv] DVD dropping back to the frontend at the menu. PCM_DVD problem?

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Mon Nov 26 17:21:42 UTC 2012

On 26/11/12 06:44, Neil Salstrom wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>>> I haven't tried the patch yet.
>> With the patch, the video plays, but there's no audio.  The frontend
>> messages are about the same up to
>>
>> 2012-11-25 20:19:37.404332 E  AFD: Could not open codec
>> 0x7f4130ec9ca0, id(PCM_DVD) type(Audio) aborting. reason -22
>>
>> but then stops without getting to AFD: No context.  The DVD menu is
>> shown, but attempting to play a title results in:
> <snip>
>>
>> but there's no audio at all.
>>
>> Eric
> This is the same thing I'm seeing.  I've thought about throwing 0.25
> on a different system to see if I can replicate it but I've not had a
> chance.
>
> Have you tried with the physical DVD to make sure it's not a problem
> with the rip (I'm pretty sure it's not but some people will ask...).

I don't believe it's anything todo with a bad rip it's more to do with
ffmpeg not detecting the audio streams properly or how myth isn't
handling the audio stream changes properly.
My patch just ignores the misidentified streams which works for me
because they only occur in the copyright messages at the start of the
example DVDs I have with the problem. If the missing audio streams are
in the main titles then you will likely get no audio at all but at lease
it wont segfault :)

It's highly likely the last ffmpeg resync is where it got broke but
since I don't know anything about ffmpeg I really don't know where to
start looking. Interestingly mythffplay seems to play the DVDs without a
problem albeit without the menus so that would point to the problem
being with how Myth is using it?

Paul H.