[mythtv] Recording (dumping) streams to disk in mythmusic ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 19 16:44:56 UTC 2012

On 11/14/2012 02:27 PM, Karl Dietz wrote:
> On 14.11.2012 20:18, Warpme wrote:
>
>> I'm wonder Devs opinion about implementing recording (dumping) streams
>> to disk in mythmusic Internet stream player.
>
> I see no issue if the result is similar to DVB/Analog radio support. If
> its heading down the stream-ripper-and-cutting-songs-automatically-for-
> the-uber-Jukebox road I'm not so sure.

Agreed.  This is forbidden by terms of service on most (all?) Internet
radio stations/services I've ever seen.  Because of that, I'd rather a
user who decides to steal music from some service have to do all the
work himself.

(Note that I realize it may be allowed on some non-radio/non-music type
audio streams you may get from the Internet--like podcasts or whatever.
I'm not trying to imply that you plan to steal music this way, but since
there's a huge number of services for which it would allow doing so, a
feature implemented in good faith would likely be used to steal music by
a large number of users (some of whom may not even realize it's stealing
since they may assume that if MythTV can do it, someone checked to make
sure it's OK).

Mike