[mythtv] MySQL, Python and Perl versions

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 19 16:25:35 UTC 2012

On 11/19/2012 09:52 AM, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Monday 19 Nov 2012 09:45:01 Daniel Thor Kristjansson wrote:
>> On 11/16/2012 10:38 AM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>> Perl
>>> I can't seem to find any documentation of minimum, recommended or
>>> supported Perl versions.  I'm running with 5.12; apparently without
>>> issues.  Available versions seem to range from 5.8 to 5.16?
>> The perl bindings are not actively supported at the moment. We
>> try to keep them from breaking, but for new projects I recommend
>> using the python bindings.
> I'd like to see both maintained, but we've a dwindling number of developers
> with both perl experience and the inclination to work on the bindings. There
> are too many areas of greater importance which demand my attention
> unfortunately.

And, really, the Perl bindings need a complete update to work with the
current design of MythTV (providing higher-level wrappers for--at
least--frequently-used commands (like the Python bindings) and, ideally,
taking advantage of things like the Services API rather than direct
Myth-protocol and, especially, direct DB access).

> I cannot unfortunately say what the minimums are for the perl bindings. I
> don't know if this has ever been documented.

Yeah, they haven't really changed in years, so I'm sure it works with
Perl versions that are old enough they have their own support problems.

Mike