[mythtv] status of MythTV wrt Coverity Scan

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon May 7 03:00:36 UTC 2012

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sunday 06 May 2012 14:27:42 Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was just wondering if there was any interest in enrolling MythTV in
>> the Coverity Scan program.
>
> We've tried time and time again over a period of several years now, they
> haven't even had the decency to acknowledge our emails.

Apparently they're more cooperative now.  I got a positive response
from them within four hours of writing to them, on a Sunday afternoon
at that.

--------
Hi Eric,

Thank you for your interest in Coverity Scan.
Your project does qualify for the Coverity Scan analysis as it does
meet the Open Source Licensing requirement.
But we just want to re-iterate that the use of Coverity SCAN is
limited to Open Source projects only and furthermore, it is limited to
only those who are developers /contributors or owner of the Open
Source project.

0. There are three steps to analyze a codebase: build, analyze, and commit.
1. You do the build step, then tar up the intermediate representation
and stick it somewhere we can get it by http.
2. Our scripts wget it, analyze it, commit it to the DB and you get
the notification when results will be available to view online after
commit.

Instructions and build tools are here:
http://scan.coverity.com/self-build/

(Our recent experience has been that pretty much everybody builds on
Linux; if you need something else, assuming we support it there will
be a short delay while we build a tools package for your platform.)

We'll start out cranking through the process by hand, only for the
first time, so we can make sure there are no problems in the build and
fix any we find, so once you've built and tarred up an intermediate
directory, just reply to this message with a URL to it, and we'll take
it from there.

For the subsequent future build, you can make Coverity build as a part
of your regular nightly/weekly build, similar to other Open Source
project and automate entire process with no need for any emails or
manual intervention.

Please let me know if you have any trouble with or questions about the
build process, of course, and thank you for your interest in Scan!

Thanks
Dakshesh Vyas | Technical Manager - SCAN
--------

I'll see if I can get a build done with the Coverity analyzer
tomorrow.  Unless someone has another opinion, I'll use the fixes/0.25
branch built on x86-64.

Eric